From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 01:34:50
1 On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 12:09:27PM +0000, Mick wrote
2 > Indeed, the Gentoo Alsa Guide still says pretty much the same thing:
3 >
4 > "Please note that for ease of use, all examples show ALSA built as
5 > modules. It is advisable to follow the same as it then allows the
6 > use of alsaconf which is a boon when you want to configure your card."
7 >
8 > I've added some options for my alsa modules in
9 > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, e.g.:
10 >
11 > options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
12
13 This is exasperating. After re-building alsa sound support as kernel
14 modules, rather than built into the kernel, I see some improvement.
15 When I blow into the internal mic I hear it from the laptop speakers.
16 With mic-boost turned up, I can hear myself echoing when I talk into the
17 internal mic or into an external mic. Turn up the boost high enough,
18 and the external mic generates a mean high-ptched feedback squeal,
19 unless I also plug in headphones.
20
21 So the hardware is working now, *BUT I STILL CAN'T RECORD THE BLEEPING
22 THING*. When I try "ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp audio.wav" it thinks it's
23 recording, but the output file is only hiss. Ditto for the command
24 "ffmpeg -f alsa -i plughw:0,0 audio.wav".
25
26 I notice that I have a file named /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf but no
27 alsa-base.conf file. Should I rename it?
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>