From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:11:18
1 On Sunday 20 February 2011 08:50:48 Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:54:38PM +0000, Mick wrote
4 > >
5 > >> Ah ... mine have more. <F4> in alsamixer brings up all these Capture
6 > >> devices:
7 > >>
8 > >> Front Mic 67<>67
9 > >> Mic 67<>67
10 > >> Capture 80<>80
11 > >> Capture 80<>80
12 > >> Digital 61<>61
13 > >> Digital 33<>33
14 > >> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
15 > >> Input So Digital Mic (other options are: Front Mic, Mic)
16 > >>
17 > >> There's a microphone on the top of the screen and a jack on the
18 > >> front left of the keyboard.
19 > >>
20 > > Another search on Goggle finally found something, but I'm not sure I
21 > >
22 > > like it. My card shows up in "lspci -v" as...
23 > >
24 > > 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev
25 > > 40)
26 > >
27 > > Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0372
28 > > Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
29 > > Memory at d0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
30 > > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
31 > > Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
32 > >
33 > > alsamixer shows...
34 > > Card: HDA ATI SB
35 > > Chip: Realtek ALC272X
36 > >
37 > > One solution I've seen involves modprobing the sound driver with a
38 > >
39 > > parameter. Problem is I've been using kernel-mode alsa for years and
40 > > I'm an absolute newbie on "alsa-driver". alsa-driver is keyworded
41 > > ~amd64 but I'm desparate enough to try it. Maybe even desparate enough
42 > > to try the other solution, namely revert to OSS.
43 > >
44 > > If I want to keyword alsa-driver and install it, I assume that I have
45 > >
46 > > to remove all kernel support for sound, i.e in "make menuconfig"...
47 > >
48 > >< > Sound card support --->
49 > >
50 > > Is that correct?
51 >
52 > I don't think so. One of my machines is a mac mini with the
53 > intel HDA chipset, and I don't recall right now whether it
54 > was alsa-driver, alsa-firnmware, or both but I did get it
55 > working without disabling audio in the kernel.
56 >
57 > >Also, what should I specify in ALSA_CARDS in
58 > >
59 > > /etc/make.conf ?
60 >
61 > ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
62
63 Around a couple of years ago my alsa stopped working and was getting some
64 errors about not finding the right modules or similar. Until that moment I
65 had it build in the kernel. I remember raising a bug, only to be told that I
66 should rebuild my kernel with alsa drivers as modules, because alsaconf should
67 be able to probe them.
68
69 Indeed, the Gentoo Alsa Guide still says pretty much the same thing:
70
71 "Please note that for ease of use, all examples show ALSA built as modules. It
72 is advisable to follow the same as it then allows the use of alsaconf which is
73 a boon when you want to configure your card."
74
75 I've added some options for my alsa modules in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf,
76 e.g.:
77
78 options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
79