From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about arts.
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:46:17
1 On 9/11/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As some may already know, I'm doing a new install on another hard
5 > drive. I have a question about arts. I have this for a sound card:
6 >
7 > > 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
8 > > (rev 0a)
9 >
10 > Do I need to compile KDE with arts support with this card? I never have
11 > started alsasound before, if that has anything to do with it, and sound
12 > works fine.
13
14 arts is never needed for multiple alsa-capable applications to access
15 any sound card now, as the dmix plugin is enabled by default since
16 alsa version 1.0.9. OSS-only applications are still a problem
17 however, as only one can access the sound card at a time.
18
19 That said, arts is still useful for KDE 3.5 if you want sound
20 notifications for error popups, login/logout events, etc, as it makes
21 notifications perform much much better IME.
22
23 -Richard
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list