From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has Linux "jumped the Shark"?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:15:39
1 On 23 December 2006 00:42, Justin Findlay wrote:
2
3 > Each major release of KDE3 has introduced many amazing
4 > new features and all of that happened in the last 4 years,
5
6 Well, KDE turned 10 this year. ;-)
7
8 > The one great blight of KDE also happens to be related to its strengths
9 > and that is that kcontrol is the most nested widget-laden application in
10 > the history of the world. I've actually spent hours scouring for the
11 > one elusive checkbox only to find it days later after I had long given
12 > up. For simplicity of UI gconf-editor is much nicer even though it's
13 > not the 'official' way to edit gconf-keys.
14
15 The control centre has been problematic since its invention. Its complexity
16 reflects a real dilemma. How to present literally thousands of options? Sane
17 defaults are fine - still, power users want to tweak everything, and they
18 should be able to. I hope the HCI people that have got involved in KDE a
19 while back will be able to influence the overhaul of it in KDE4 to an extent
20 that it no longer intimidates people.
21
22 That said, you should have seen it in the begin. It has become much better
23 over the years.
24
25 Uwe
28 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
29 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list