From: Justin Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has Linux "jumped the Shark"?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:47:42
1 On AD 2006 December 21 Thursday 10:35:47 AM +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > Or is it about KDE4?
3
4 KDE is the most advanced desktop I've used (that doesn't include vista's
5 'new' desktop). The desktop that ships with OSX may come close to KDE
6 for features but it is styled to the point of annoyance both because the
7 UI and because the theme is inextricably welded onto the distro just
8 like windows. Each major release of KDE3 has introduced many amazing
9 new features and all of that happened in the last 4 years, and KDE4
10 promises to be even more amazing, who cares what their schedule is.
11
12 The one great blight of KDE also happens to be related to its strengths
13 and that is that kcontrol is the most nested widget-laden application in
14 the history of the world. I've actually spent hours scouring for the
15 one elusive checkbox only to find it days later after I had long given
16 up. For simplicity of UI gconf-editor is much nicer even though it's
17 not the 'official' way to edit gconf-keys.
20 Justin
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list