From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 13:26:29
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:23:00 PM lee wrote:
4 >> Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> writes:
5 >> What's the last time you pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and it actually worked?
6 >> It's a legacy thing from times when freezes/crashes were common and when
7 >> it did work and was useful.
8 >>
9 >> Nowadays, when you're pressing it, usually nothing happens anyway
10 >> because the machine is down to where you have to press the reset button
11 >> or to turn off the power (if you can't log in with ssh). When the
12 >> machine still works, Ctrl+Alt+Del also works, which means that the
13 >> default does nothing but create a security hole.
14 >
15 > On Linux now there's the Magic SysRq Key feature for that.
16
17 I always can't remember which keys to press with that, so I have it
18 disabled.
19
20 And when the keyboard is unresponsive, it won't work.
21
22 >> So how can we have this default changed?
23 >
24 > Somebody posted that on this very thread. Replace the ctrlaltdel entry on
25 > inittab with /bin/false.
26
27 Oh I mean the *default*. We should not need to change the inittab to
28 have it disabled by default.
29
30 Isn't commenting out the whole line sufficient?
34 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
35 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.