From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] video capture
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:07:22
1 You have a pvr-150 which has onboard mpeg2 encoding. Most standard v4l
2 software will not play tv from such a card, because it expects a different format from the card. For example the tvtime supported cards
3 list says:
4
5 "The ivtv driver supports cards that provide high quality MPEG2 encoded
6 video. This cards are ideal for PVR systems. However, tvtime has no
7 MPEG2 decoding capabilities or audio playback code, and therefore cannot
8 be used to watch live TV from these cards."
9
10 Try
11
12 cat /dev/video0 > test.mpeg
13 ctrl-c to stop
14 mplayer test.mpeg
15
16 or just:
17
18 mplayer /dev/video
19
20 you can tune the card and adjust the inputs etc with the tools provided
21 by ivtv. Mine is permanently set to the composite inputs as it used for
22 the output from a set top box. I have never used the tuner. getting an
23 external composite video signal like a set top box output a VHS player
24 is a good way to test. Move onto the tuner once you are sure you can get composite to work.
27 On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:53:29 -0400