From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Force Firefox to use gecko-mediaplayer for webm
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:08:26
1 On Sun 22 Jul 2012 06:53:13 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 22/07/12 08:11, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> So yeah, the question is clear.
4 >> How do I force Firefox to play webm videos using gecko-mediaplayer?
5 >> Compile firefox without webm support?
6 >>
7 >> Or there's some other way around?
8 >
9 > You misunderstand the job GM is doing. It's a video player for
10 > embedded video objects and its plugin registers itself as such. If
11 > the embedded video is WebM, GM will play it. If it's HTML5 video
12 > (both WebH and H.264), then it will not, and Firefox will play it
13 > directly.
14 >
15 > So your question should rather be: How do I force Firefox to play
16 > HTML5 videos using gecko-mediaplayer? :-) (I don't know the answer.
17 > I suspect it is not possible, since the whole point of HTML5 video is
18 > to have the browser play the video.)
22 Anyway, I got the answer :)
23 Probably compiling firefox without webm support would get me my way.
26 Nilesh Govindrajan
27 http://nileshgr.com