From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] merging or fitting images together
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 03:51:38
1 On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 120516 Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> I tried Hugin, but got nowhere.  I set  6  points on each picture,
5 >>> which are  2  overlapping parts of a single original negative,
6 >>> but all it offered was a black screen; I did follow the on-line help.
7 >> Hugin can be tricky, especially if you're using the FastGL mode
8 >> in an older version; that mode didn't really work for me until recently.
9 >
10 > I'm using the latest testing 2011.4.0 ; I didn't try a "fast" mode.
11 >
12 >> The other thing is that you should let its wizard
13 >> automatically add the control points for you.
14 >
15 > Ah yes : I set the corresponding points in each half myself,
16 > eg the toe of someone's shoe or the top of the further tram's headlamp.
17 >
18 >> Can you put up the originals somewhere?
19 >
20 > They're at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ .
21 >
22 >> I'd like to take a shot at stitching them with Hugin.
23 >> I've done hundreds of panoramas and HDR stacks with it.
24 >
25 > Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list
26 > with the steps you followed to get there.
27
28 Remarkably simple. Probably because I was only stitching two photos.
29
30 1): Emerge hugin. Current stable version is 2011.0.0, and that worked fine.
31
32 2) Launch hugin
33
34 3) Hugin defaults to leaving the wizard tab open. Load your source
35 images (brum-3068.jpg, brum-3070.jpg).
36
37 Because the files don't have EXIF data provided by the camera, you'll
38 need to provide some key details about the lens used for the original
39 pictures. I ventured a guess of 50mm, as that's the same as my prime
40 lens, it's around the upper end of current kit lenses, and it's around
41 the lower end of basic macro zoom lenses. It happened to work fine.
42
43 4) Click the "Align" button. Hugin will use its wizard to discover
44 control points and optimize them.
45
46 5) Hugin will have popped open the fast preview window. As long as it
47 looks somewhat fine, go back to the main Hugin window and click on the
48 Stitcher tab.[1] Enable exposure-corrected, low dynamic range. Keep
49 everything else disabled. Set your format and quality settings to
50 taste.
51
52 6) Click "Stitch Now". Hugin will put the panorama image in the same
53 directory as your source images.
54
55 I'll email you the stitched-together file off-list.
56
57 Outside the emerge, this whole process took less time on an Intel
58 Pentium B940 than writing this email.
59
60 [1] I probably could have clicked the 'Create Panorama' button in the
61 wizard tab, but I fell back to habits.
64 :wq