From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimizations for SSD netbook
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:41:13
1 On Sat, 30 May 2009 07:08:55 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> 2. added elevator=noop as a boot parameter
5 > >
6 > > I remember that I've given this second advice. Since then I've read in
7 > > the German computer journal c't [1] that CFQ has a detection for SSDs
8 > > since 2.6.28 and now is the best choice for these devices.
9 >
10 > OK, do I need a boot parameter if I've set CFQ as the default IO
11 > scheduler in the kernel config?
12
13 No, that's what default switch is there for.
16 > > Yup, the entry should read:
17 > > tmp /tmp tmpfs default 0 0
18
19 I'd also suggest to explicitly specify max size of tmpfs mount, since
20 system locking because of wrong cp command is probably the last thing
21 you want. Argument is "size=" (see man 8 mount).
24 > Do you think mounting /tmp in RAM is worthwhile? Mike doesn't seem to
25 > think too highly of it.
26
27 I guess accelerated fsync and reduced disk wear should be a nice plus
28 for SSD device, provided the path in question is constanly used for
29 writing which really might be the case with files, created in /tmp by
30 various mktemp implementations (like python's) which I haven't really
31 thought about, so I think I might be wrong about the issue here, sorry.
35 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net