From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: HW-raid1 & SSD?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:39:42
1 On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm building small server for VPS-hosting purpose (not decided
5 > yet, probably KVM or ESXi). Althought it is "non production",
6 > reliability is still issue for me. I'm considering using two
7 > small SSD (ie. Intel 313, 24GB, SLC) in hw-raid1 (Adaptec 3805)
8 > just for hypervisor, and 2xHDD/raid1 for VPS.
9 >
10 > I started looking for info on internet but results are not
11 > conclusive. Opinions vary from "no problem, use SSD&raid1"
12 > to "using SSD in raid is not recommended no matter if it is
13 > SW or HW". Mostly missing trim-command is mentioned as reason
14 > for not using SSD in any raid.
15 >
16 > Does anyone have any experience with SSD in raid (SW or HW)?
17 > Is it safe to use it on server?
18 >
19 > Jarry
20
21 On the surface it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you have two
22 drives mapped against each other in a RAID-1, and then you TRIM part
23 of 1 drive but don't TRIM the same part of the 2nd drive, it seems to
24 me that you're discarding part of your redundancy, aren't you? What
25 would mdadm itself (or anything else) know about remapping that stuff?
26 Granted, mdadm could be informed and probably reconstruct the RAID-1
27 in a new location, but as you TRIM out different parts of each SSD
28 it's going to get messy I think.
29
30 If you look up TRIM in Wikipedia there's a little bit of info
31 suggesting some support for some file systems.
32
33 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
34
35 I can say from reading the mdadm list for the last year that it's a
36 conversation that doesn't come up all that often and mostly goes away
37 pretty fast most of the time there. Check their archives.
38
39 In my case I'm running a small server here that's currently running 3
40 VMs which is typical for my work day. I'm considering adding a single
41 SSD to the system to host the VMs but using rsync to back them up to
42 HDD RAID each evening.
43
44 HTH,
45 Mark