From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and WindowMaker
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:00:26
1 On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:55:53 -0600
2 Brad Camroux <bgcamroux@××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > Greetings,
5 >
6 > I've been trying to get WindowMaker working on my Gentoo box, so far
7 > without success. It's very difficult to find anything on Google et.
8 > al., too about getting things working. Today I managed to find the
9 > wmaker.inst program to install WindowMaker for the current user, but
10 > when I try to login and load WindowMaker, it just goes back to my kdm
11 > screen. I've been using Fluxbox in the meantime, and really don't
12 > want to just give up and go back to KDE. I want to use a nice,
13 > lightweight window manager.
14 >
15 > Does anyone have any ideas about configuring WindowMaker to work on
16 > Gentoo? I know lots of people have done it, but nobody seems to
17 > write a detailed account of how.
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 >
21 > Brad
22
23 Brad,
24 You did use the windowmaker ebuild from portage right? I know gdm,
25 which I use, lists session managment options like Fluxbox and KDE based
26 on the presence of startup scripts in some folder somewhere
27 in /etc/X11. The ebuild should put them there, but I'm not sure,
28 especially for kdm, what that entails or whether it'll actually be done
29 in your case. You might be able to set up a custom script in
30 ~/.xession to start up windowmaker, if you can figure out how to do so
31 from the command line, and then select the "custom" option if the
32 windowmaker ebuild doesn't support adding itself to the kdm menu.
33
34 Regards and good luck,
35 --Dan Farrell
36 --