From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:05:23
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:30:11 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> I think I removed kde-meta, because it installs too much stuff,
6 >> that I don't need (like kppp). It would be nice, if the kde-meta
7 >> ebuild would be more like the gst-plugins-meta package, in that
8 >> it sould allow the user to specify what he wants to get installed
9 >> and what not. It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach, IMO.
10 >
11 > But that's exactly what it's for "merge this to pull in all
12 > non-developer, split kde-base/* packages".
13
14 Not all -meta packages behave like that - eg. the gst-plugins-meta
15 package only pulls in, what's wanted (per USE flags).
16
17 > If you want to pick and
18 > choose, emerge the packages you want, there's no need to add extra USE
19 > flags and another layer of complexity when the current system handles
20 > both all-in-one and selective installs just fine.
21
22 Well, I disagree. I want to install almost all of the KDE stuff,
23 but eg. not the PPP things, as I've got not use for that on that system.
24 But I still would like my world file *NOT* to be cluttered with
25 a gazillion of kde packages.
26
27 The current system absolutely does not handle that just fine.
28
29 Michael
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list