From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many people use KDE?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:29:09
1 On 1/22/06, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 January 2006 16:57, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Is there no 'kde-light' to get me the environment without all the
5 > > zillions of apps, etc.?
6 >
7 > Yes, with kde split ebuilds it's actually possible to build a "light" kde
8 > system. Just emerge kdebase-startkde and build from there adding the
9 > apps you need (usually, kicker, konsole and konqueror are enough to give
10 > you an usable desktop, but I must admit that the notion of "usable" is
11 > very subjective; anyway, I hope you get the idea).
12 >
13 > In fact, you can have a functional kde desktop by installing no more than
14 > 20-30 applications among the "zillions" you mentioned before :)
15 >
16 > HTH
17
18 Thanks. It does help.
19
20 And I hope it's clear I'm not picking on KDE. I have no reason to. I
21 don't run a full version of Gnome either. It's great to know that
22 there's a reasonably simple way to get a reduced version of KDE.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list