From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:15:47
1 On 2011-12-10 3:07 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > You may be able to get a better response from the -hardened list,
4
5 Dang, I had forgotten gentoo has a bunch of other lists... thanks, just
6 subscribed...
7
8 > but I built a hardened server a few months ago without much
9 > difficulty. As far as I know, the correct model to use depends on
10 > what you want to do with the server/what security you are looking to
11 > implement. When I went hardened, I used PaX and grsec [1] because it
12 > offered the security I was looking for but didn't restrict userland
13 > usability on a server on which I was the only user. My understanding
14 > is that this restriction would be a consequence of using SeLinux.
15
16 Yeah, I was leaning toward avoiding SeLinux already from what I've been
17 reading, thanks...
18
19 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml
20 >
21 > As for a solid comparison of the different models and tutorials for
22 > them, I don't know of any. I just used [1] as well as the PaX page to
23 > install and configure them and I didn't run into any problems.
24
25 Good to know, and thanks again...