From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:17:32
1 On Dec 11, 2011 3:17 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2011-12-10 3:07 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> You may be able to get a better response from the -hardened list,
9 > Dang, I had forgotten gentoo has a bunch of other lists... thanks, just
10 subscribed...
13 Don't forget gentoo-server! It's full of people who deploy and manage
14 servers daily :-)
15
16 >> but I built a hardened server a few months ago without much
17 >> difficulty. As far as I know, the correct model to use depends on
18 >> what you want to do with the server/what security you are looking to
19 >> implement. When I went hardened, I used PaX and grsec [1] because it
20 >> offered the security I was looking for but didn't restrict userland
21 >> usability on a server on which I was the only user. My understanding
22 >> is that this restriction would be a consequence of using SeLinux.
25 > Yeah, I was leaning toward avoiding SeLinux already from what I've been
26 reading, thanks...
29 Nothing beats the security of SELinux. But along with that, there will be a
30 HUGE learning curve and management complexity.
31
32 GrSec + PaX are enough for me.
33
34 >> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml
35 >>
36 >> As for a solid comparison of the different models and tutorials for
37 >> them, I don't know of any. I just used [1] as well as the PaX page to
38 >> install and configure them and I didn't run into any problems.
41 > Good to know, and thanks again...
44 If you decide to deploy PaX, do read the help pages for PaX options; there
45 are settings that might be severely detrimental for certain hardware
46 combinations.
47
48 Rgds,