From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:hardware sniffer equipment
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:44:16
1 On Friday 14 December 2007, James wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I have been using flat hubs (netgear 104EN is my favorite) for some
6 > time to sniff out ethernet traffic. Now days, it's difficult to find
7 > flat hubs for this purpose, that are new. Ideally I like to find a
8 > 10/100/1000 flat hub for sniffing, but I'd settle for some new 10/100
9 > devices. I really like the metal cases on netgear's hubs, but, I'm
10 > most open to other vendors that still manufacture these devices.
11
12 Not sure whether this applies to your setup, but there are switches where
13 a port con be configured to "mirror" all the traffic passing through the
14 switch, so that sniffers or IDSs can be attached to that port (the cisco
15 term is SPAN). Of course, we're not talking of low-end switches here.
16 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring
17
18 Alternatively, although this is not exactly the same thing, you might
19 want to consider using a network tap
20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_tap), if your network has a
21 suitable place to attach it.
22 --