From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT:hardware sniffer equipment
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:35:25
1 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu <at> unlimitedmail.org> writes:
2
3 > Of course, we're not talking of low-end switches here.
4 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring
5
6 > Alternatively, although this is not exactly the same thing, you might
7 > want to consider using a network tap
10 COST is the key factor. Why pay somebody for something, when you can get
11 equivalient functionality for very few dollars. A flat hub is all
12 I need (want)...... With a flat hub and a portable, you can mix in
13 any amount of target software and do many things with a flat but
14 and a linux device.
15
16 I'd consider an embedded (linux) board with a few ports, if they
17 are or can be setup as a flat hub.
18
19 Thanks for your input,
22 James