From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT:hardware sniffer equipment
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:32:33
1 James wrote:
2 > COST is the key factor. Why pay somebody for something, when you can get
3 > equivalent functionality for very few dollars. A flat hub is all
4 > I need (want)...... With a flat hub and a portable, you can mix in
5 > any amount of target software and do many things with a flat but
6 > and a linux device.
7 >
8 > I'd consider an embedded (linux) board with a few ports, if they
9 > are or can be setup as a flat hub.
10 >
11 > Thanks for your input,
12
13 Cost is pretty low these days. $300 for 10/100 24 port with vlans and
14 port mirroring.
15 http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3424?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
16
17 Not sure the throughput you're dealing with, but I had issues with
18 anything over 15-20 mb/s being moved down to half duplex. If you're just
19 messing about home or in a low bandwidth office this doesn't matter so much.
20
21 I've got two 5234's (same thing with GigE and bigger backplane) I'd let
22 go for $500 + shipping if you or anyone else is interested. :-)
23
24 kashani
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list