From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lilo 'duplicate volume id' issue after attaching esata enclosure
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:27:22
1 On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:47, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been happily using lilo
5 >>> to boot from my internal 4-disk sata array (md, raid 1) for a while
6 >>> now and I recently bought an external sata enclosure. I cabled it up
7 >>> to my machine, added 4 disks I had sitting around, and on boot, lilo
8 >>> throws a 'duplicate vol-id detected' error and halts...
9 >>> I did a bunch of googling, and it looks like if I could just get
10 >>> booted, running 'lilo' would actually fix the problem, but I can't get
11 >>> lilo booted past this error.
12 >>>
13 >>> Ideas on how I can fix/remove the vol-id from the external disks?
14 >>
15 >> I *think* those are going to be filesystem labels. If it's ext-based,
16 >> you should be able to use tune2fs to change them.
17 >>
18 >> Is there a reason you can't boot from a liveDVD or similar, chroot in,
19 >> and run lilo? You'll have to get to a working system to change things
20 >> one way or another...
21 >>
22 >> --
23 >> :wq
26 > no, these are not filesystem labels. they are the first 4 bytes of
27 > each disks MBR ;)
28 >
29 > lilo will correct them, if i can get lilo booted
30 >
31 > i tried booting systemrescue cd, and it boots, but it doesn't see the
32 > external drives (hence it boots fine)
33
34 Try an Ubuntu live CD or similar. If it doesn't see the external
35 drives, there's a reasonable chance you can modprobe something or
36 enable hotplug support after you've already booted.
39 Alternately, can you alter your primary system's MBR to alleviate the
40 conflict, and then get in and fix things properly?
43 :wq