From: Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lilo 'duplicate volume id' issue after attaching esata enclosure
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:32:36
1 On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:47, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been happily using lilo
4 >> to boot from my internal 4-disk sata array (md, raid 1) for a while
5 >> now and I recently bought an external sata enclosure. I cabled it up
6 >> to my machine, added 4 disks I had sitting around, and on boot, lilo
7 >> throws a 'duplicate vol-id detected' error and halts...
8 >> I did a bunch of googling, and it looks like if I could just get
9 >> booted, running 'lilo' would actually fix the problem, but I can't get
10 >> lilo booted past this error.
11 >>
12 >> Ideas on how I can fix/remove the vol-id from the external disks?
13 >
14 > I *think* those are going to be filesystem labels. If it's ext-based,
15 > you should be able to use tune2fs to change them.
16 >
17 > Is there a reason you can't boot from a liveDVD or similar, chroot in,
18 > and run lilo? You'll have to get to a working system to change things
19 > one way or another...
20 >
21 > --
22 > :wq
25 no, these are not filesystem labels. they are the first 4 bytes of
26 each disks MBR ;)
27
28 lilo will correct them, if i can get lilo booted
29
30 i tried booting systemrescue cd, and it boots, but it doesn't see the
31 external drives (hence it boots fine)
35 Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@×××××.com)
36 Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
37 douglasjhunley.com
38 G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3