From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:21:44
1 On Sunday 16 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
2 > All I get for iwconfig is
3 > lo no wireless extensions
4 > eth0 no wireless extensions.
5
6 This means that the driver has not been loaded yet. In generic terms you'll
7 need to install the necessary driver for your WiFi device (either the new one
8 in the kernel or emerge net-wireless/rtl8187, or ndiswrapper and the MS
9 Windows driver). If you build the driver as a module then you need to
10 modprobe -v rtl8187, while you keep an eye on the logs to see how things go
11 (tail -f /var/log/messages). You have seen this, right?
12
13 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_rtl8187
14
15 > I think I need some more info in /etc/conf.d/net, and need somehow to
16 > create the necessary /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 or whatever driver.
17 >
18 > The only 'net.anything' drivers present at the moment are net.lo and
19 > net.eth0
20
21 You will of course have to manually create a symlink between net.wlan0 ->
22 net.lo (or whatever your new WiFi device is recognised as by the kernel) so
23 that you can bring it up by running /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start. But this is
24 only necessary for autoloading the driver through the runlevel scripts. To
25 try it out follow the instructions in the Wiki page above.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick