From: Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering RAID1 after disk failure
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:04:32
1 Looks like I can take it from here! Thank you. I didn't know fdisk had an
2 "expert" menu.... <wink>
3
4 On Thursday 16 June 2011 11:14:30 pm Paul Hartman wrote:
5 > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I've got a sw RAID1 that just had a failed drive replaced with an
7 > > identical drive.
8 > >
9 > > However, the good drive started on sector 63 and the new drive want's to
10 > > start on sector 2048. Fdisk won't let me create the partition table on
11 > > the new drive as it is on the old drive.
12 >
13 > Hi Mike,
14 >
15 > I believe this is due to the alignment code in newer versions of fdisk
16 > (2048 sector = 1 megabyte)
17 >
18 > I think you can use the expert menu in fdisk ("x" from the main menu)
19 > to achieve what you're trying to do. I can't tell you the exact steps
20 > but I am 99.9% sure it can be done.
24 Take care and have fun,
25 Mike Diehl.