From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: how do I kick a MAC address off my hostapd WiFi network?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:36:41
1 On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:50:30 -0700
2 "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've thought about setting up a "hotel page" type system, but it's
5 > just one more thing I don't have time to futz with. If push came to
6 > shove, I'd just start blacklisting ALL MAC's (or I should say
7 > whitelisting *my* MACs actually).
8 >
9 > I'd really like to be part of a mesh, but where I live I'm in the
10 > middle of suburbia.
11
12 MAC addresses can be spoofed, and, i've been convinced, sniffed out
13 very easily. MAC address filterning isn't safe, but does make sure
14 anyone abusing your net the way we're talking about here uses your mac
15 addresses and not their own.
16
17 on the other hand, you could make them digitally agree to a user
18 agreement and I bet that would go a long way in court.
19
20 I've been wondering about this too. I'm trying to think of a way to
21 integrate a webpage with server routing and such.
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list