From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot and udev Woes
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:32:03
1 On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:15:24 +0000
2 john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hi Gentoo.
5 >
6 > I have recently got a FX8350 and all is going very well.
7 > After a week of using I have had no issues and then realised I had not
8 > set man number of cpus in kernel config.
9 >
10 > This was set to 6. So as FX8350 is an eight core beast. I decided to
11 > set to 8.
12 >
13 > Upon reboot the boot hangs at
14 >
15 > waiting for uevents to be processed.
16 >
17 > This hangs for 60 seconds and then starts spitting out the following
18 >
19 > timeout killing /sbin/modprobe -bv xcpu_vendor 0002 + lots of 4 long
20 > numbers. Sorry, I cannot trap these as they fly by.
21 >
22 > in a continous loop.
23 >
24 > Reset required.
25 >
26 > Booting from old kernel is still ok (6 cores set).
27 >
28 > Looking in /proc/cpuinfo there are only 6 cores.
29 >
30 > I can boot ok from Windows which shows 8 cores and I have also updated
31 > BIOS to latest version.
32 >
33 > Any ideas
34 >
35 > Is there any way to detect or test that I using 8 cores?
38 Have tried booting from Arch linux which boots fine and shows 8 cores
39 in /proc/cpuinfo
40
41 I must be missing a kernel config option somewhere but do not
42 understand why a simple change from 6 to 8 cpus should make a
43 difference.
46 John D Maunder