From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot and udev Woes
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:59:41
1 john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:15:24 +0000
4 >john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Hi Gentoo.
7 >>
8 >> I have recently got a FX8350 and all is going very well.
9 >> After a week of using I have had no issues and then realised I had
10 >not
11 >> set man number of cpus in kernel config.
12 >>
13 >> This was set to 6. So as FX8350 is an eight core beast. I decided to
14 >> set to 8.
15 >>
16 >> Upon reboot the boot hangs at
17 >>
18 >> waiting for uevents to be processed.
19 >>
20 >> This hangs for 60 seconds and then starts spitting out the following
21 >>
22 >> timeout killing /sbin/modprobe -bv xcpu_vendor 0002 + lots of 4 long
23 >> numbers. Sorry, I cannot trap these as they fly by.
24 >>
25 >> in a continous loop.
26 >>
27 >> Reset required.
28 >>
29 >> Booting from old kernel is still ok (6 cores set).
30 >>
31 >> Looking in /proc/cpuinfo there are only 6 cores.
32 >>
33 >> I can boot ok from Windows which shows 8 cores and I have also
34 >updated
35 >> BIOS to latest version.
36 >>
37 >> Any ideas
38 >>
39 >> Is there any way to detect or test that I using 8 cores?
42 >Have tried booting from Arch linux which boots fine and shows 8 cores
43 >in /proc/cpuinfo
44 >
45 >I must be missing a kernel config option somewhere but do not
46 >understand why a simple change from 6 to 8 cpus should make a
47 >difference.
48
49 John.
50
51 Have you tried comparing the kernel config between your kernel and the one arch linux uses?
54 Joost
55 --
56 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.