From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot and udev Woes
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 23:49:54
1 On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:57:49 +0100
2 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > >On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:15:24 +0000
7 > >john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> Hi Gentoo.
10 > >>
11 > >> I have recently got a FX8350 and all is going very well.
12 > >> After a week of using I have had no issues and then realised I had
13 > >not
14 > >> set man number of cpus in kernel config.
15 > >>
16 > >> This was set to 6. So as FX8350 is an eight core beast. I decided
17 > >> to set to 8.
18 > >>
19 > >> Upon reboot the boot hangs at
20 > >>
21 > >> waiting for uevents to be processed.
22 > >>
23 > >> This hangs for 60 seconds and then starts spitting out the
24 > >> following
25 > >>
26 > >> timeout killing /sbin/modprobe -bv xcpu_vendor 0002 + lots of 4
27 > >> long numbers. Sorry, I cannot trap these as they fly by.
28 > >>
29 > >> in a continous loop.
30 > >>
31 > >> Reset required.
32 > >>
33 > >> Booting from old kernel is still ok (6 cores set).
34 > >>
35 > >> Looking in /proc/cpuinfo there are only 6 cores.
36 > >>
37 > >> I can boot ok from Windows which shows 8 cores and I have also
38 > >updated
39 > >> BIOS to latest version.
40 > >>
41 > >> Any ideas
42 > >>
43 > >> Is there any way to detect or test that I using 8 cores?
44 > >>
45 > >
46 > >Have tried booting from Arch linux which boots fine and shows 8 cores
47 > >in /proc/cpuinfo
48 > >
49 > >I must be missing a kernel config option somewhere but do not
50 > >understand why a simple change from 6 to 8 cpus should make a
51 > >difference.
52 >
53 > John.
54 >
55 > Have you tried comparing the kernel config between your kernel and
56 > the one arch linux uses?
57 >
58 > --
59 > Joost
60
61 Tried the 3.6.6 kernel which sorts this problem (same as Arch). Perhaps
62 a kernel bug ??? But have no idea really. Fascinating. Will have
63 another dig tomorrow
64
65 Was using 3.5.7. Did try make mrproper, removing all modules from boot
66 but nothing helped with that kernel.
67
68 Although I didn't compare the kernels it suggested to me to use a
69 different version which sorted the issue.
70
71 I can now use all 8 cores. What will I do? I've never know such times
74 thanks
77 John D Maunder