From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:27:15
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:09 AM, <karl@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > The problem is that an ever increasing amount of programs list systemd
4 > or some of its libs as a depenancy. So it is getting harder and harder
5 > to opt out.
6 >
7 > The situation is similar to the one with udev and variants. Some
8 > programs list udev as a requirement even though there is no requirment
9 > on technical grounds. I.e. X, I can run X perfectly without udev, I
10 > just have to make my own xorg.conf, or I might want to run X with udev
11 > since then it handles multiple keyboards with different layouts
12 > automatically. It's like when buying a car, some prefer automats, some
13 > stick shift. There are pro and cons for both cases.
16 I get your frustration.
17
18 Below is just my personal sense of things, ultimately the entire
19 Council sets policy but this is my sense of the "Gentoo Way" and how I
20 see things being likely to go.
21
22 On Gentoo at a distro level we're never going to force package
23 maintainers to make any particular package a dependency as long as the
24 software works without it. At the same time we're not going to force
25 maintainers to patch software to eliminate dependencies. We certainly
26 encourage maintainers to do things like this within reason, but we
27 don't require it.
28
29 In your example, if upstream xorg starts sticking dbus calls to
30 udev/systemd/etc in their code, and it fails to launch if those
31 packages aren't running, then unless somebody patches out that
32 behavior or makes it conditional then udev/systemd would need to be
33 listed as dependencies. It isn't like simply not listing them would
34 fix the issue anyway, it would just cause X to fail to launch for some
35 users.
36
37 When software just runs without some features without another package
38 installed, then there is no requirement to list it as a dependency
39 (generally speaking). Maybe during the install it might suggest
40 installing some other packages for full functionality.
41
42 In the end though, if xorg requires systemd as shipped upstream, that
43 is an upstream issue. I realize you'll get a lot less sympathy with
44 many upstream projects than you'll get around here because
45 goals/philosophies differ.
46
47 And as upstream projects go further down that road, it will in
48 practice become more difficult for a distro like Gentoo to maintain
49 larger and larger patches to alter their behavior. Gentoo as a distro
50 will probably never force a developer to give up, but at some point
51 you're talking about maintaining a fork and not a patch. Now, you can
52 look at eudev and see that there is ultimately no limit on how long
53 that can go on, but it depends on people willing to do the work.
54
55 Ultimately Gentoo is a place where we all come together to try to
56 support our ability to maintain a diverse configuration space. Still,
57 that diversity largely depends on the interests of those who put in
58 the work to maintain it. And it often comes at a cost of less
59 vertical integration and automation. At a distro level we try to
60 remove barriers to individual contribution, not force individuals to
61 contribute in a manner that we would prefer them to.
64 Rich