From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:10:10
1 Regarding the controversy about systemd etc.
2
3 The problem isn't that systemd is available, or that there exist a
4 company named Red Had or that there exist a developer named Lennart
5 Poettering that develops programs.
6
7 The problem is that an ever increasing amount of programs list systemd
8 or some of its libs as a depenancy. So it is getting harder and harder
9 to opt out.
10
11 The situation is similar to the one with udev and variants. Some
12 programs list udev as a requirement even though there is no requirment
13 on technical grounds. I.e. X, I can run X perfectly without udev, I
14 just have to make my own xorg.conf, or I might want to run X with udev
15 since then it handles multiple keyboards with different layouts
16 automatically. It's like when buying a car, some prefer automats, some
17 stick shift. There are pro and cons for both cases.
18
19 Sometimes its useful and sometimes its not needed, why should I be more
20 or less forced to use it in every case ? No one is expecting me to run a
21 webserver on every systems, why then the heated arguments about this ?
22 It should be my own decision what to install, not someone elses.
23
24 Regards,
25 /Karl Hammar
26