From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:57:12
1 On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am 20.12.2016 um 17:47 schrieb Rich Freeman:
3 >> Clearly nobody forced you to run it, because you aren't running it
4 >> now.
5 >
6 > That's again one of those silly arguments. I'm just not running it
7 > because I'm using Gentoo again. On Arch Linux they forced systemd onto
8 > the users. Because the Arch Linux users don't have any choice if they
9 > want to use Arch Linux, because they e.g. don't want to compile anything
10 > and still want to have bleeding edge software.
11
12 Anybody can run openrc on Arch linux. They just have to set it up
13 themselves, or form a group to share the work.
16 >> Nobody is going to waste their time trying to convince you that
17 >> systemd is better than anything else, because in the end your opinion
18 >> doesn't actually affect us.
19 >
20 > Because of your ignorant attitude. Fortunately it's not only my opinion.
21 > Unfortunately the Poettering fanboys are just the loudest but not the
22 > majority.
23
24 No, your opinion doesn't affect me because the only thing you've been
25 contributing is noise. I don't need your help to run systemd, or
26 anything else, and you aren't offering it besides.
27
28 If anything it works the other way around. There seem to be a lot
29 more Gentoo devs who run systemd who are actively contributing openrc
30 scripts than Gentoo devs who run openrc who are actively contributing
31 systemd units. I haven't actually done a poll but I see a lot more
32 people asking the systemd team to help them write systemd units than
33 people asking the openrc team to help them write init.d scripts.
34
35 >> People who prefer systemd will maintain
36 >> it, and people who prefer openrc will maintain that, and we can all be
37 >> happy.
38 >
39 > That's true for Gentoo, Slackware, Devuan, and maybe still Debian, but
40 > not for the other Distros like Ubuntu and its derivatives, Arch Linux,
41 > Redhat, Fedora etc.
44 Anybody can maintain openrc on any distro. Maybe they can't put it in
45 the official repository, that would be up to the people who control
46 those repositories. However, as everybody is quick to point out the
47 dependency list for sysvinit+openrc is incredibly light, which makes
48 it fairly easy to run on any distro. You could probably get sysvinit
49 running on arch in 15min. Openrc would take longer, mainly because
50 you'd have to adapt the scripts for any services you care about. But,
51 it isn't THAT hard to do.
54 Rich