From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:37:34
1 On 12/21/2016 06:09 AM, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > Regarding the controversy about systemd etc.
3 >
4 > The problem isn't that systemd is available, or that there exist a
5 > company named Red Had or that there exist a developer named Lennart
6 > Poettering that develops programs.
7 >
8 > The problem is that an ever increasing amount of programs list systemd
9 > or some of its libs as a depenancy. So it is getting harder and harder
10 > to opt out.
11 >
12 > The situation is similar to the one with udev and variants. Some
13 > programs list udev as a requirement even though there is no requirment
14 > on technical grounds. I.e. X, I can run X perfectly without udev, I
15 > just have to make my own xorg.conf, or I might want to run X with udev
16 > since then it handles multiple keyboards with different layouts
17 > automatically. It's like when buying a car, some prefer automats, some
18 > stick shift. There are pro and cons for both cases.
19 >
20 > Sometimes its useful and sometimes its not needed, why should I be more
21 > or less forced to use it in every case ? No one is expecting me to run a
22 > webserver on every systems, why then the heated arguments about this ?
23 > It should be my own decision what to install, not someone elses.
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > /Karl Hammar
27 >
28 > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
29 > Aspö Data
30 > Lilla Aspö 148
31 > S-742 94 Östhammar
32 > Sweden
33 > +46 173 140 57
37 The other thing not really mentioned about systemd .... the problems of
38 "fixing" systems with it.
39
40 Its a "one-size-fits-all" solution, just like Windows. If you don't have
41 a "standard" desktop / notebook ... you are S.O.L.
42
43 The old manual method of configuration is extremely flexible, you can
44 get the "who-knows-where-it-came-from-component" to work. The new
45 "automagic" of udev / systemd .... forget it. At least with script based
46 init systems I could change the run level to fix Xorg problems.
47
48 The systemd configuration files are designed for programmers, not
49 technicians. And their is a HUGE difference between "programmers" and
50 "technicians". Different aptitudes, different skills. The old .conf
51 files, technicians can easily handle. Requiring everyone to be a
52 programmer is a really bad idea.
53
54 You really don't want to see the "quality" of the code a technician
55 would produce :(