From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about layman and eix search
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:55:32
1 On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > How to make eix search an overlay too.
3 >
4 > The manpage for layman says:
5 >
6 > You can search through the ebuilds available in the overlays on
7 > http://overlays.gentoo.org by using "eix". Emerge the package and
8 > run update-eix-remote update.
9 >
10 > But I find no such option in eix or eix --help|grep update
11 > or 'man eix' although I do find eix-remote and eix-layman.
12 >
13 > But not at all clear if either of those can cause eix to search
14 > overlays.
15 >
16 > I don't see any likely use flags to change either at:
17 > emerge -vp eix:
18 > [ebuild R ] app-portage/eix-0.18.0
19 > USE="bzip2 nls -deprecated -doc -sqlite -tools" 0 kB
20 >
21 > It must be common task for people using overlays... so anyone know how
22 > its done.
23
24 Hi,
25
26 Create the file /etc/eix-sync.conf with this one character in it:
27 *
28
29 Then you can simply run eix-sync to automatically sync your overlays,
30 main portage tree, and update the EIX cache. Afterward it will show
31 you what is new or has changed. No need to run layman -S or emerge
32 --sync ever again. :)
33
34 Also, if you have any overlays that don't include metadata, you can
35 add lines like this beneath the asterisk in eix-sync.conf to make it
36 generate cache for them:
37 !egencache --repo=theoverlayname --update
38
39 At least that's how I do it.