From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple addresses/routes for one ethernet card possible?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 16:13:10
1 On Saturday, 24 October 2020 16:33:44 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:41:01AM +0100, Michael wrote
3 >
4 > > However, if only one router is connected to the PC at any time, my
5 > > personal preference would be to use the *same* LAN subnet on both
6 > > routers and configure the routers' static IP address allocation to
7 > > the same IP address for the PC's MAC.
8 >
9 > I'll look into the "advanced settings menu" on both routers and see if
10 > I can change the LAN subnet. I want to avoid dhcp so that I can backup
11 > and transfer files and ssh between machines using short names in
12 > /etc/hosts rather than fiddle around with literal IP addresses.
13
14 You should be able to do both of your required functions.
15
16 Almost all routers I've come across have the capability of configuring their
17 LAN subnet, static LAN client IPs for selected MAC addresses, and setting host
18 names to resolve to static LAN IPs. So the routers' configuration should be
19 able to achieve all of your desired functionality. In any case, additionally
20 setting /etc/hosts locally will similarly direct clients to preconfigured
21 static IPs without resolving the host names in either router.