From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:57:56
1 Cliff Wells wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 11:52 -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have not used it though I plan on getting the OS X version once my
5 >> Mac Mini arrives...
6 >
7 > I have doubts about the performance of a VM on that hardware. I've got
8 > a mini and it's not fast (at least running Linux). Usable for
9 > general-purpose stuff but it feels pretty sluggish if I ask it to do
10 > anything heavy. I don't know any benchmarks, but if I had to give you a
11 > "feel" describing it, I'd put it on par with a 1GHz PIII with a slow
12 > drive and not *quite* enough memory. In short, it's great for doing
13 > testing on or just day-to-day stuff, but I think running a VM may be out
14 > of its league.
15 >
16 > If you can, replace the disk with a 5400RPM drive which will help a lot.
17 >
18 > Regards,
19 > Cliff
20
21 Do you have the "old" mini with a G4 and the dog slow 4200 RPM drive?
22 If so that would explain a lot. The new Intel based ones have a much
23 faster processor and a much better hard drive. The difference is
24 night-and-day.
25
26 Jim
27 --