From: Cliff Wells <cliff@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:53:29
1 On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 11:52 -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
2
3 > I have not used it though I plan on getting the OS X version once my
4 > Mac Mini arrives...
5
6 I have doubts about the performance of a VM on that hardware. I've got
7 a mini and it's not fast (at least running Linux). Usable for
8 general-purpose stuff but it feels pretty sluggish if I ask it to do
9 anything heavy. I don't know any benchmarks, but if I had to give you a
10 "feel" describing it, I'd put it on par with a 1GHz PIII with a slow
11 drive and not *quite* enough memory. In short, it's great for doing
12 testing on or just day-to-day stuff, but I think running a VM may be out
13 of its league.
14
15 If you can, replace the disk with a 5400RPM drive which will help a lot.
16
17 Regards,
18 Cliff
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list