From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:58:37
1 On May 21, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Cliff Wells wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 11:52 -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have not used it though I plan on getting the OS X version once my
6 >> Mac Mini arrives...
7 >
8 > I have doubts about the performance of a VM on that hardware. I've
9 > got
10 > a mini and it's not fast (at least running Linux). Usable for
11 > general-purpose stuff but it feels pretty sluggish if I ask it to do
12 > anything heavy. I don't know any benchmarks, but if I had to give
13 > you a
14 > "feel" describing it, I'd put it on par with a 1GHz PIII with a slow
15 > drive and not *quite* enough memory. In short, it's great for doing
16 > testing on or just day-to-day stuff, but I think running a VM may
17 > be out
18 > of its league.
19
20 On a 1.66ghz Core Duo Intel Mac Mini? Or are you talking the 1.42ghz
21 single CPU G4 Mac Mini, the older Mini? The Intel Core Duo is a
22 worthy chip.
23
24 Obviously I am going to hike the memory up. Lots of people have
25 already given a thumbs up to Parallels in a Core Duo mini with extra
26 RAM added for normal non-gaming use. I just need to run Windows for
27 tax SW, testing web pages in IE, etc. My old Athlon box is starting
28 to develop some disk issues and is old and cranky :-)
29
30 Chad
33 > If you can, replace the disk with a 5400RPM drive which will help a
34 > lot.
35 >
36 > Regards,
37 > Cliff
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
45 ---
46 Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
47 Your Web App and Email hosting provider
48 chad at shire.net
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list