From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 06:02:51
1 Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:30:03 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > On 2017-04-25 14:29, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > >> Hi,
8 > >>
9 > >> since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
10 > >> which is at least as good as FTP?
11 > >>
12 > >> I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
13 > >> missing features.
14 > >
15 > > What about sshfs? It allows you to mount a location that can be
16 > > accessed via ssh to your local file system, as if you are using
17 > > ssh.
18 >
19 > Doesn't that require ssh access? And how do you explain that to ppl
20 > finding it too difficult to use Filezilla? Is it available for
21 > Windoze?
22
23 Both, sshfs and scp, require a full shell (that may be restricted but
24 that involves configuration overhead on the server side). You can use
25 sftp (FTP wrapped into SSH), which is built into SSH. It has native
26 support in many Windows clients (most implementations use PuTTY in the
27 background). It also has the advantage that you can easily restrict
28 users on your system to SFTP-only with an easy server-side
29 configuration.
30
31 > > Also samba can be a replacement. I have a samba server on my OpenWRT
32 > > router and use mount.cifs to mount it...
33 >
34 > Does that work well, reliably and securely over internet connections?
35
36 It supports encryption as transport security, and it supports kerberos
37 for secure authentication, the latter is not easy to setup in Linux,
38 but it should work with Windows clients out-of-the-box.
39
40 But samba is a pretty complex daemon and thus offers a big attack
41 surface for hackers and bots. I'm not sure you want to expose this to
42 the internet without some sort of firewall in place to restrict access
43 to specific clients - and that probably wouldn't work for your scenario.
44
45 But you could offer access via OpenVPN and tunnel samba through that.
46 By that time, you can as easily offer FTP, too, through the tunnel
47 only, as there should be no more security concerns now: It's encrypted
48 now. OpenVPN also offers transparent compression which can be a big
49 plus for your scenario.
50
51 OpenVPN is not too difficult to setup, and the client is available for
52 all major OSes. And it's not too complicated to use: Open VPN
53 connection, then use your file transfer client as you're used to. Just
54 one simple extra step.
58 Regards,
59 Kai
60