From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jffs2 on gentoo
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:50:42
1 On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 18:27 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a firewall that is built pretty minimally on a P3 and
5 > and old 4 gig ide disk:
6 >
7 > /dev/hda3 2068348 1668104 400244 81% /
8 > /dev/hda1 100728 40452 60276 41% /boot
9 >
10 > I have a 4 gig Cf card (sandisk) and a ide-cf card that should
11 > make the CF card look like an ide hard drive.
12 >
13 > I've been searching for a wiki or something that describes the general
14 > sequence of events to migrate the existing gentoo system to the
15 > CF/ide disk, with no luck.
16 >
17 > I did find this page:
18 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Mounting_a_block_device_with_JFFS2
21 > But it seems vague(outdated) and missing many steps. Or
22 > am I confused? I'm just looking for some outline or verbose
23 > steps to replace an ide drive on a system with a CF/ide drive
24 > and jffs2, as I have many systems that I'd like to do this with,
25 > for core reliability on minimalistic gentoo servers. I plan
26 > on having additional space on these systems (when needed)
27 > via NFS.
30 > Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
33 > James
36 As far as I know you won't need jffs2 (or any other fs for flash
37 memory). It is meant to be used on embedded devices that directly access
38 the flash memory. In your case, the CF-disk takes care of wear leveling.
39 Just use ext2. However, you could still get problems because, as far as
40 I know, wear leveling needs to be tuned for the FS and most probably no
41 one tuned the CF-disk for ext2. Maybe you could use fat instead...