From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:27:37
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
3 >>> safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
4 >>> me. When does that ever work?
7 >> You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only mode.
8 >> There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it. Press ENTER when you're
9 >> finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
10 >>
11 >> That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one doesn't
12 >> work.
13 >
14 > I can't do that remotely though. I'm probably asking for something
15 > that doesn't exist.
16 >
17 > - Grant
22 There is a couple people on here that handle remote machines. I'd be
23 shocked if there isn't a way to do this. Just give them a bit to see
24 the thread. I vaguely recall someone mentioning this but since my
25 remote machine is about 20 feet away, I didn't make notes.
26
27 Dale
28
32 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
33 how you interpreted my words!
34
35 Miss the compile output? Hint:
36 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"