From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:48:02
1 On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Grant wrote:
4 > >>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
5 > >>> safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
6 > >>> me. When does that ever work?
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >> You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only
10 > mode.
11 > >> There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it. Press ENTER when
12 > you're
13 > >> finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
14 > >>
15 > >> That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
16 > doesn't
17 > >> work.
18 > >
19 > > I can't do that remotely though. I'm probably asking for something
20 > > that doesn't exist.
21 > >
22 > > - Grant
27 > There is a couple people on here that handle remote machines. I'd be
28 > shocked if there isn't a way to do this. Just give them a bit to see
29 > the thread. I vaguely recall someone mentioning this but since my
30 > remote machine is about 20 feet away, I didn't make notes.
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
34 > :-) :-)
35 >
36 > --
37 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
38 > how you interpreted my words!
39 >
40 > Miss the compile output? Hint:
41 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
45 That's right, there are many embedded machines out there with upgrades once
46 in a while.
47
48 Perhaps you would get better results asking at gentoo-embedded list.
49
50 Francisco