From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 03:06:29
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
3 > Asterisk, Hylafax etc. (nothing graphic intensive).
4 >
5 > - IN WIN BL631 Low Profile Micro ATX Case w/ 300W Power Supply,
6 > - AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache
7 > - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
8 > - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
9 > - Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA Solid State Drive, 1TB
10 > - Asus GeForce GT 720 Silent CSM, 2GB, PCI-E w/ D-Sub VGA, DVI, HDMI
11 >
12 > Will I have any problems installing Gentoo on this configuration, eg.
13 > with Video Card etc.?
14 > Do I need more RAM?
18 I built a rig a while back and have 16GBs of memory. I also have
19 portage's work directory on tmpfs. There are times when I wish I had
20 more memory. I'm planning to upgrade to 24GBs and eventually, 32GBs.
21 I'm not sure what your board can hold but may want to think about future
22 upgrades. I run KDE here, there are times where I use a lot of memory.
23 I'm using ~8GBs as I type.
24
25 I've been using a Gigabyte board for a long while. I'm happy with it.
26 I actually still have a 2nd board that I upgraded from. It was a first
27 step to upgrade memory and such. I think I had to change the IOMMU
28 setting in the BIOS. I think that was the name of it. It's something
29 like that. I think I had to add something to the kernel boot line too
30 on that. Let me know if you need it, I'll go dig.
31
32 One other thing, I have a UPS that shows what amount of power my system
33 is using. It shows ~150 watts. It will jump to ~190 when compiling
34 heavily. You may want to make sure that P/S is well made. I've never
35 used a P/S that came with a case. Generally, they are cheaply made.
36 May want to make sure of that before you use it. Nothing worse than a
37 crappy P/S.
38
39 Dale
40