From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 04:36:34
1 On 12/29/2016 08:06 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
4 >> Asterisk, Hylafax etc. (nothing graphic intensive).
5 >>
6 >> - IN WIN BL631 Low Profile Micro ATX Case w/ 300W Power Supply,
7 >> - AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache
8 >> - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
9 >> - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
10 >> - Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA Solid State Drive, 1TB
11 >> - Asus GeForce GT 720 Silent CSM, 2GB, PCI-E w/ D-Sub VGA, DVI, HDMI
12 >>
13 >> Will I have any problems installing Gentoo on this configuration, eg.
14 >> with Video Card etc.?
15 >> Do I need more RAM?
19 > I built a rig a while back and have 16GBs of memory. I also have
20 > portage's work directory on tmpfs. There are times when I wish I had
21 > more memory. I'm planning to upgrade to 24GBs and eventually, 32GBs.
22 > I'm not sure what your board can hold but may want to think about future
23 > upgrades. I run KDE here, there are times where I use a lot of memory.
24 > I'm using ~8GBs as I type.
25 >
26 > I've been using a Gigabyte board for a long while. I'm happy with it.
27 > I actually still have a 2nd board that I upgraded from. It was a first
28 > step to upgrade memory and such. I think I had to change the IOMMU
29 > setting in the BIOS. I think that was the name of it. It's something
30 > like that. I think I had to add something to the kernel boot line too
31 > on that. Let me know if you need it, I'll go dig.
32 >
33 > One other thing, I have a UPS that shows what amount of power my system
34 > is using. It shows ~150 watts. It will jump to ~190 when compiling
35 > heavily. You may want to make sure that P/S is well made. I've never
36 > used a P/S that came with a case. Generally, they are cheaply made.
37 > May want to make sure of that before you use it. Nothing worse than a
38 > crappy P/S.
39 >
40 > Dale
41 >
43
44 Thank you for the input Dale.
45 Yes, Power Supply is a good point. I think I'll change the case and
46 select different PS. Any hints as to which brand is good?
47
48 I think they are all made in China :-/
49
50 Thelma