From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:23:05
1 Grant schrieb:
2 >> >> So, the correct entry for your make.conf is:
3 >> >>
4 >> >> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="myaddress@×××××.com /usr/sbin/sendmail"
5 >> >
6 >> > I've tried that and it doesn't seem to be working.
7 >>
8 >> How is it not working? What's in the logs?
9 >
10 > There is nothing in /var/log/mail/ and I can't find anything in
11 > /var/log/everything/.
12
13 Hm, I would've checked /var/log/syslog and /var/log/debug.
14
15 What happens when you try to send a mail with mutt/mail/mailx?
16
17 mail -s "test mail" myaddress@×××××.com < /dev/null
18
19 There have to be some messages somewhere.
20
21 >> > I have ssmtp
22 >> > installed with +mailwrapper.
23 >>
24 >> mailwrapper or not shouldn't matter.
25 >
26 > Ok, for some reason I thought mailwrapper provided the sendmail binary.
27
28 No, it doesn't. Check out the description of mailwrapper.
31 >> > Do I need to set up any other kind of
32 >> > configuration?
33 >>
34 >> You need to configure ssmtp. Did you do so?
35 >
36 > Looking over /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf, it seems like I need to configure
37 > the mailhub variable?
38
39 Yep.
40
41 > I want to make sure I'm setting up as simple a
42 > system for getting this elog mail out as possible. Do I need to
43 > specify some kind of an SMTP server to get it sent?
44
45 Yes. Some "mailhub", as the documentation likes to call it. And
46 if you need to authenticate yourself to the SMTP server, set
47 AuthUser and AuthPass. Also
48
49 # Use SSL/TLS to send secure messages to server.
50 UseTLS=YES
51
52 is quite useful.
53
54 > I thought this
55 > thread was saying using SMTP was optional.
56
57 You misunderstood. This thread was about, *WHERE* SMTP is used.
58 IMO, it's wrong that portage even CAN use SMTP. But nearly always,
59 you'll need to use some SMTP server to get your mail out. But
60 with the /usr/sbin/sendmail interface, it's conceivable to send
61 out the mail WITHOUT the use of SMTP (eg. if the mail is sent from
62 the host with UUCP).
65 Alexander Skwar
66 --
67 Is a wedding successful if it comes off without a hitch?
68 --
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list