From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:44:03
1 On 16/09/2014 22:23, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 09/16/14 19:58, James wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >>
5 >> Folks that work on precise computer problems are often "raw" with
6 >> one another. "Sarcasm" is an ointment that soothes the pain
7 >> of running Gentoo. Verbal abuse develops "thick skin" and most
8 >> here on Gentoo User have "thick skin", imho. Devs on this
9 >> list often question the gentoo-user base to ferret out if they
10 >> need to modify docs, codes or semantics at Gentoo, or if the user
11 >> needs. Sometime it does resemble a court room.
12 >>
13 >> "Alan's school of admin abuse" type of treatment to motivate
14 >> an excellent user base is not uncommon.
15 >>
16 >> That said, the amount of questions and bandwidth you have incurred
17 >> on this group, does warrant administrative incursion into you
18 >> admin policies, imho. Maybe, just maybe, folks actually care
19 >> that you are wisely successful with Gentoo?
20 >>
21 >> For example since you are distributing, you really need to keep
22 >> binaries packages on at least one system. I nuked python, some
23 >> years ago. It was only the files on another similar system that
24 >> prevent me form a new installation of the system.
25 >>
26 >> Besides, I rather think you are being "groomed" to become a gentoo
27 >> dev, so you can abuse the rest of of (gentoo users) commoners?
30 >> hth,
31 >> James
32 >
33 > Thank for suggestions, yes I usually keep the binaries for as long as I
34 > have enough room on "/" :-)
35 > If I'm short on space I periodically nuke them. I've manged to keep the
36 > system going for the last 10-years
37 > and keep my own help-file.txt (notes) how to solve certain problem (but
38 > not all :-/)
39 >
40 > I sometime clean the distribution files with this command (I'm sure
41 > there might be a better way).
42 > -----------------
43 > cd /usr/portage/distfiles
44 >
45 > and run this command:
46 > (emerge -epf world 2>&1 | perl -ne '$f=join("\n",
47 > m@\w://[^\s]+/([^\s]+)@g); print "$f\n" if $f' | sort -u; ls -f) | sort
48 > | uniq -c | perl -ane 'print "$F[1]\n" if $F[0]==1 && -f $F[1]' | xargs
49 > rm -f
52 eclean (in package gentoolkit)
55 > ------------------
56 >
57 > Regarding keeping the binaries, I'll need to learn how to install
58 > compiled binaries from another box. Never, had a chance to do it yet.
59
60 scp/rsync/whatever from one source to $PKGDIR on dest then
61 emerge -k (or -K depending if you want to fall back to regular compile
62 from source or not)
63
64 or, nfs mount $PKGDIR on the source to $PKGDIR on the dest machine and
65 you don't have to scp/rysnc
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com