From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:23:31
1 On 09/16/14 19:58, James wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >
4 >Folks that work on precise computer problems are often "raw" with
5 >one another. "Sarcasm" is an ointment that soothes the pain
6 >of running Gentoo. Verbal abuse develops "thick skin" and most
7 >here on Gentoo User have "thick skin", imho. Devs on this
8 >list often question the gentoo-user base to ferret out if they
9 >need to modify docs, codes or semantics at Gentoo, or if the user
10 >needs. Sometime it does resemble a court room.
11 >
12 > "Alan's school of admin abuse" type of treatment to motivate
13 >an excellent user base is not uncommon.
14 >
15 >That said, the amount of questions and bandwidth you have incurred
16 >on this group, does warrant administrative incursion into you
17 >admin policies, imho. Maybe, just maybe, folks actually care
18 >that you are wisely successful with Gentoo?
19 >
20 >For example since you are distributing, you really need to keep
21 >binaries packages on at least one system. I nuked python, some
22 >years ago. It was only the files on another similar system that
23 >prevent me form a new installation of the system.
24 >
25 >Besides, I rather think you are being "groomed" to become a gentoo
26 >dev, so you can abuse the rest of of (gentoo users) commoners?
29 >hth,
30 >James
31
32 Thank for suggestions, yes I usually keep the binaries for as long as I have enough room on "/" :-)
33 If I'm short on space I periodically nuke them. I've manged to keep the system going for the last 10-years
34 and keep my own help-file.txt (notes) how to solve certain problem (but not all :-/)
35
36 I sometime clean the distribution files with this command (I'm sure there might be a better way).
38 cd /usr/portage/distfiles
39
40 and run this command:
41 (emerge -epf world 2>&1 | perl -ne '$f=join("\n", m@\w://[^\s]+/([^\s]+)@g); print "$f\n" if $f' | sort -u; ls -f) | sort | uniq -c | perl -ane 'print "$F[1]\n" if
42 $F[0]==1 && -f $F[1]' | xargs rm -f
44
45 Regarding keeping the binaries, I'll need to learn how to install compiled binaries from another box. Never, had a chance to do it yet.
48 Joseph