From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One hard drive much slower for some reason.
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 22:30:32
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> For the record, hda and hdb are not even mounted. I am currently using
6 >> hdc for the OS. The drive used to be a lot faster than this. I used
7 >> it for my OS a good while back and recently used it for /var/portage
8 >> and /usr/portage. I'm not sure what has changed so I can't figure out
9 >> why it is so slow. Anyone see something I am missing? All I see is
10 >> the others are udma6 while it is udma5. It has always been that way
11 >> tho.
12 >>
13 >> Thoughts?
14 >>
15 > hdb is in slave mode, maybe this slows things down? If you want to be
16 > sure, you could exchange hda and hdb (that is, exchange a jumper so master
17 > becomes slave and vice versa, unless you have it set to 'cable select'),
18 > and check again.
19 >
20 > Wonko
24 It hasn't mattered in the past. I'm not sure why it should matter now.
25 I really don't see how it could matter at all really. Heck, my DVD
26 drive is slow as it gets, its udma4, but hdc is on the same cable and it
27 is one of the faster drives I have. That would exclude sda of course.
28 Those two drives has been in there this way for ages and used to be
29 pretty close as far as speed.
30
31 I'm thinking age is catching up on the drive myself.
32
33 Dale
34