From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pidgin, gtalk and jingle
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 15:39:35
1 On Apr 8, 2013 9:07 PM, "Michael Hampicke" <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am 08.04.2013 17:20, schrieb Michael Mol:
4 > > So, I'm trying to verify whether or not Pidgin can talk to Google Voice
5 > > on my laptop. When searching around for instructions, I get the
6 > > impression that this is supposed to "just work", and I don't see much in
7 > > the way of people actually having difficulty with it.
8 > >
9 > > In my case, if someone calls me, my gmail tab rings at me, my phone
10 > > rings at me, but Pidgin doesn't so much as twitch.
11 > >
12 > > Has anyone else had this working on Gentoo?
13 > >
14 > > Here's what I'm working with:
15 > >
16 > > net-im/pidgin-2.10.7-r1 was built with the following:
17 > > USE="dbus doc gnutls gstreamer gtk (multilib) ncurses networkmanager nls
18 > > python spell tk xscreensaver zeroconf (-aqua) -debug -eds -gadu
19 > > -groupwise -idn -meanwhile -perl -prediction -sasl -silc -tcl -zephyr"
20 > > ABI_X86="64"
23 > I never got this to work either. I tried google-voice-calling ( :-) )
24 > myself from my android phone to pidgin on the work station and got
25 > nothing. Also I cannot make outgoing calls from pidgin to my android
26 phone.
29 Same here. It seems Google Talk uses some different protocol unlike pidgin
30 which uses jingle. Pidgin to pidgin calling works.