From: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I require static nodes?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:22:25
1 2013/11/27 Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > Portage recently told me this:
6 >
7 > * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel for
8 > * kernel modules to have required static nodes!
9 > * Run this command:
10 > * rc-update add kmod-static-nodes sysinit
11 >
12 > Will you please help me parse this statement?
13 >
14 > Interpretation A:
15 > * You need to add kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
16 >
17 > Interpretation B:
18 > * If your kernel modules require static nodes, then you need to add
19 > * kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel
20 >
21 > Q1: Is it A or B (or C...)?
22 >
23 > Q2: If it's B, then how do I determine whether or not my kernel
24 > modules require static nodes?
27 I also had trouble to interpret the message and because I was lazy I just
28 added the kmod-static-nodes to the sysinit runlevel.
29
30 After searching a bit I found that this was added due to bug #477856, but
31 reading this as well as the release notes for kmod I am still not sure if
32 this is needed in any case or just if there is a modular kernel etc.
33
34 I am cc'ing one of the kmod maintainers maybe he can explain what is meant
35 exactly.
36
37 @Samuli: You have added the elog message to kmod-14-r1. Can you please give
38 some more information about when kmod-static-nodes is required to be in the
39 sysinit runlevel? Thanks in advance.
42 Regards
43 Daniel Pielmeier