From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LC_ locale settings for UK / GB.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:06:59
1 On 07/10/2009 02:48 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
4 > environment variables are set...
7 > Googling "LC_* environment variables" turns up this doc:
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#doc_chap3
9 >
10 > I assume this document is correct & up to date?
11 > (and is not superseded by the LINGUAS="en_GB en" that I have in make.conf)
12
13 As far as I know the LINGUAS variable is used only during the building
14 of packages, and is not related to the LANGUAGE or LC variables. If I'm
15 wrong then someone correct me, please. I've been vague about this for
16 years.
17
18 To discover what locales you have in /usr/share/locale, type 'locale -a'
19 at a shell prompt. If you emerged glibc with your LINGUAS variable set
20 to en_GB en then you may have only English-oriented locales listed,
21
22 In any case you should easily spot what you need in the output of
23 locale -a | grep GB.
24
25 Unless you have some very arcane lanuage needs you can just set the
26 value of LC_ALL instead of worrying about nine different ones.
27
28 Here is my /etc/env.d/02locale as an example from the colonies, which
29 of course is unsuitable for a truly civilized country:
30
31 $cat /etc/env.d/02locale
32 LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
33 LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
34 LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
35 LINGUAS=""
36 ALL_LINGUAS=""
37
38 The redundancy in that file is probably overkill because I didn't know
39 exactly what to include. It may well be that some of those don't need
40 to be there, and someone who knows will enlighten us both :o)