From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 03:05:52
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sunday 21 August 2011 02:08:51 Paul Hartman wrote:
9 >>> Could I just export the entire laptop - everything from the root
10 >>> directory and below - and chroot into that over the network? Then I
11 >>> wouldn't even need to emerge -k...
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >> No, I tried that and got myself tied in knots - well, actually it was the
15 >> whole portage tree that I exported, not the entire system. I forget what
16 >> went wrong now, but it's definitely cleaner to tell the server to build
17 >> the
18 >> packages and the client to install from them. The emerge -k step is quick
19 >> too, and you have the advantage that you can see whether the packages are
20 >> actually there, unless you've switched colours off or not specified -v. (I
21 >> once found that they weren't there, which prompted me to go looking for
22 >> the
23 >> config problem. Like Dale, I'm quite a good tester!)
24 >>
25 >> You just have to make sure that the chroot is identical to the client.
30 > Since you mentioned me. I wish I could set up a quicky from my 4 core 64
31 > bit machine to compile 32 bit packages for a older 2GHz machine that belongs
32 > to a friend. I was going to put Mandriva on it but the CD won;t boot up
33 > properly. It stops at starting udev. Grrrrr.
34 >
35 > How hard is it to set up a 64 bit machine to compile programs for a 32 bit
36 > system?
37 >
38 > Dale
39 >
43 It's actually quite easy. IIRC, when I did it last, the only difference is
44 that when you chroot into the subsystem you need prefix the command with
45 linux32, e.g. linux32 chroot /path/to/chroot /bin/bash